[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Lee Sharp <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Pass-through MAC vs Allowed IP Address
 Date:  Fri, 23 Dec 2011 13:38:00 -0600
On 12/23/2011 10:46 AM, GD Incorporation wrote:
> Dear all Monowallist
>

> I have one thing in mind that keeps bugging me. In m0n0wall, when it is
> freshly installed, the Pass-through MAC list will work flawlessly. But give
> it some time; it seems that somehow some computer's macs cannot pass the
> firewall to the Internet even if there is already pass-through Mac list for
> that particular computer.

Not sure why a reinstall "fixes" this, but I can tell you how the code
works...

With PassThrough MAC, the MAC address is preauthenticated.  However, the
authentication method takes place via http.  So, if your first network
request is http, all is good.  If it is anything else (like a DNS
request) it will fail.  Often when that happens, Windows takes the net
"offline" and you never try again.  With allowed IPs you are in the open
table, and any traffic passes immediately.

Also, not that time on a m0n0wall install has nothing to do with
anything.  It only looks at the hard drive on boot, and only writes to
in on config saves.  A reboot takes you to a clean system.

			Lee