[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Lee Sharp <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Pass-through MAC vs Allowed IP Address
 Date:  Sat, 24 Dec 2011 09:51:08 -0600
On 12/24/2011 01:51 AM, GD Incorporation wrote:
> Hi Lee,
>
> All the connection I need to make is Http connection. I tried to reboot the
> server and the client machine, it did not work. What I did was, I tried to
> shut the firewall all night long and also the clients, then it worked.

What happens if you shut everything down for one minute?  And, what are
the clients?  Some of the newer Windows will "detect" a Internet
connection, and if it goes down, the system goes offline.

> Any comments? Is it possible due to some sudden electrical failure, the
> software somehow got some bad clusters or missing bits etc... It is quite
> often to have power blackout here in my country. I am thinking to buy a ups
> for the firewall. By the way, I uses the standard PC iso for the firewall.

The system runs from memory, so a corruption of the image is not likely.
  However, with bad power, a corruption of the memory can happen.  Also,
you could have bad memory.  Get a UBCD or an Ubuntu CD and boot to
memtest x86+ and see if your memory is good.  (Let it run for two passes
at least)  You may also want to look at a line conditioner.  This is
more than a cheap UPS...  But a cheap DIY way to get one is a car
battery, an inverter, and a battery charger.  It will be noisy power,
but perhaps cleaner than what you have.

			Lee