[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Ulrik Lunddahl <ul at proconsult dot dk>
 To:  "m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  DHCP Relay and DHCP server at the same time.
 Date:  Wed, 1 Feb 2012 09:40:01 +0000
Hi Everyone!

Today i had the joy of not knowing what was going on my network...:)

My setup is with 4 physical interfaces, WAN (static), LAN (Servers), OPT1 (Client PCs), OPT2 (IT
Equipment)

I have a Windows DHCP server on the LAN subnet, and is using DHCP Relay on the OPT1 interface to
Relay DHCP request to the DHCP server, this has been working for quite some time, no problems at
all.

Yesterday I enabled the DHCP server on the OPT2 interface, most equipment is switches, UPS'es and
Remote Management Cards for server, so thay have static IP addresses, but when I bring my notebook
or install new equipment I would be nice to have a DHCP service on this subnet/VLAN, so I enabled
it.

It was not working, as in, I did not get an IP address on my notebook as expected, so I wrote it on
the tofix list and went home.

This morning clients on the OPT1 interface complained about lost network connectivity due to missing
DHCP service, the DHCP server was fine, so I went on an disabled the DHCP server on the OPT2
interface, and immediately the DHCP Relay was working again, and the problem was solved.

Is it possible that the DHCP Relay and the DHCP Server is not working at the same time, of course it
cannot be active on the same subnet, but should it not function on different subnets ?

The OPT2 interface is new, it used to be on a separate m0n0wall installation, but a few days ago I
consolidated my firewalls.

Can anyone give me a hint to where to pinpoint the error ?

Med venlig hilsen, Best regards
Ulrik Lunddahl

Sales Manager - Salgschef

Tel: +45 63113333 - Tel dir: +45 63113341 - Mobil: +45 26363341 - Fax: +45 63113344
E-mail: ul at proconsult dot dk<mailto:ul at proconsult dot dk> - Web site:
www.proconsult.dk<http://www.proconsult.dk/>