[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Manuel Kasper <mk at neon1 dot net>
 To:  James L. Lauser <james at jlauser dot net>
 Cc:  m0n0wall <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Register DHCP leases in DNS forwarder in 1.8b491
 Date:  Thu, 9 Feb 2012 14:53:49 +0100
On 09.02.2012, at 03:49, James L. Lauser wrote:

> I recently upgraded my m0n0 instance to 1.8b491 (the latest at the time),
> and I noticed that the "Register DHCP leases in DNS forwarder" feature
> seems to have stopped working. I checked all of the settings, even tried
> unsetting and resetting them, but nothing seems to fix it. None of the
> notes for 492-496 referenced DNS or DHCP, so I didn't bother trying to
> upgrade yet.

You're right - this is an open issue in the beta, and the cause is that support for reading ISC-DHCP
lease files has been removed in Dnsmasq (the software used for the DNS forwarder in m0n0wall).
m0n0wall 1.33 uses an older version where this support was still present (even though it had to be
explicitly enabled at compile time), but I don't want to downgrade to old software versions for
m0n0wall 1.8.

So from what I can tell, there are three options:

a) hack it back into Dnsmasq (which means we'll have to do that for every new version or hope that
the patch gets accepted upstream)

b) switch from ISC-DHCP to Dnsmasq for the DHCP server feature. Advantage: reduced image size (->
ISC-DHCP no longer required, at least not for v4). Disadvantage: intrusive change, DHCP server
config generation would have to be rewritten, some features may be missing

c) cook up a script based solution based on "on commit -> execute" in ISC to update the hosts file

Looks like the future-proof solution would be b). I'll have a look as time permits... Thanks for the
reminder!

- Manuel