[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Stefan Ott <stefan at ott dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Performance issues on WRAP
 Date:  Sun, 22 Apr 2012 05:08:27 +0200
Hey

I recently noticed a strange behaviour with m0n0wall 1.33 running on a
PC Engines WRAP. It seems that whenever the network throughput (tried
with http and ftp) gets close to my connection's maximum (which is
around 25 Mbps) the system becomes extremely unresponsive and won't do
anything else anymore - DNS lookups fail and even wifi connections get
terminated. A quick look at the CPU load graph shows that it's very
close to 100%.

Now, I realize that maxing out my connection will have some negative
impact on additional data traffic, but using my whole CPU for a little
bit of packet forwarding seems slightly excessive. Thus I was
wondering whether anyone might have an idea about what I can do to
figure out what exactly generates all that CPU load and how to fix it.

Any advice would be highly appreciated.

cheers
--
Stefan Ott