[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Performance issues on WRAP
 Date:  Sun, 22 Apr 2012 00:55:49 -0400
On Sat, Apr 21, 2012 at 11:08 PM, Stefan Ott <stefan at ott dot net> wrote:
> Hey
>
> I recently noticed a strange behaviour with m0n0wall 1.33 running on a
> PC Engines WRAP. It seems that whenever the network throughput (tried
> with http and ftp) gets close to my connection's maximum (which is
> around 25 Mbps) the system becomes extremely unresponsive and won't do
> anything else anymore - DNS lookups fail and even wifi connections get
> terminated. A quick look at the CPU load graph shows that it's very
> close to 100%.

At 25 Mbps, you're pushing everything you're going to get through a
WRAP. Things are going to get unresponsive at that point, you're going
to start dropping packets, etc. Enabling polling won't really help,
it'll at least keep userland processes on the system from being
overwhelmed by interrupt load, but it will slightly reduce the amount
of throughput you can get and increase latency. Really need a faster
box than a 233 or 266 MHz Geode at 25+ Mbps.