[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Lee Sharp <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Performance issues on WRAP
 Date:  Mon, 23 Apr 2012 08:54:48 -0500
On 04/23/2012 08:30 AM, Stefan Ott wrote:
> But thanks a lot for the answers, I honestly didn't expect some minor
> routing and NATting to use that much CPU power. Guess it's time to go
> shopping then!

Pushing data over a buss takes power...  Nothing for it.

> On a related note, does anyone happen to know whether the ALIX boards
> (500 MHz Geode) have enough power to be reasonably future proof? Or is
> it a simple linear thing, i.e. I'll have the same issues on an ALIX
> once I hit 50 Mbps?

How future proof do you want it?  You may want to conside a Jetway
NF96FL-525 with the AD3INLANG daughter card.  This gives you 4 gig-e
ports, and three of them are Intel.  You also have a leftover PCI slot
for a 4 ports fast ether card if needed.  I have built m0n0 on this and
it works well.

			Lee