[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  David Cramblett <david at functionalchaos dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  WRAP/ALIX platform running 1.33 - seeing limited download bandwidth
 Date:  Fri, 4 May 2012 11:37:49 -0700
I recently changed my internet connection from Qwest/Century Link 20M/896K
DSL to a Comcast Business Cable which is netting about 55M/45M.  However,
when I run a speed test through a LAN based computer connected to my WRAP
based m0n0wall system, I was seeing only 16M down/35M up.

I checked my interfaces to make sure they were configured at 100Mb-Full
Duplex, and everything looked good.  It seemed really odd that I was still
seeing 35M up, but only seeing 16M Down.  I reset the Comcast SMC modem, my
"dirty" WAN side switch and my m0n0wall WRAP router - just to make sure
everything was cleaned up but still saw the same results.

Despite the 35M upload I was seeing, I decided my old WRAP platform must be
"dated" and ordered a new 500MHz ALIX board.  It arrived yesterday and I
replaced the router and now I am seeing about 10M down/35M Up.

I re-checked the interfaces, still showing 100M-Full Duplex. Whenever I
plug my workstation into the dirty WAN switch (bypassing m0n0wall) I
immediately get the 55M/45M speed result.

I tried a factory reset of settings and used DHCP on the WAN side, same
speed result of 10M/35M.

I am at a loss to what my problem is.  I couple of things worth mentioning:

1. I built the old WRAP system many years ago and have just been upgrading
the firmware over the years.

2. Since WRAP and ALIX both use the embedded image, I assumed I could just
plug my CF card into the new ALIX board and all would be fine - it seems to
be working fine.

3. I think the old image is just setup on an 8Mb partition of the CF card,
but it's actually quite a bit larger card - not sure if I should upgrade
the partition size - shouldn't be a speed related issue though.

Here is a link to a copy of my status.php.

http://pastehtml.com/view/bwystheel.html

Thanks,

David

--