[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  David Cramblett <david at functionalchaos dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] WRAP/ALIX platform running 1.33 - seeing limited download bandwidth
 Date:  Fri, 4 May 2012 12:37:46 -0700
On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 11:51 AM, Fred Grayson <fred underscore grayson at yahoo dot com>wrote:

> On 5/4/2012 2:37 PM, David Cramblett wrote:
>
>> I recently changed my internet connection from Qwest/Century Link 20M/896K
>> DSL to a Comcast Business Cable which is netting about 55M/45M.  However,
>> when I run a speed test through a LAN based computer connected to my WRAP
>> based m0n0wall system, I was seeing only 16M down/35M up.
>>
>> I checked my interfaces to make sure they were configured at 100Mb-Full
>> Duplex, and everything looked good.  It seemed really odd that I was still
>> seeing 35M up, but only seeing 16M Down.  I reset the Comcast SMC modem,
>> my
>> "dirty" WAN side switch and my m0n0wall WRAP router - just to make sure
>> everything was cleaned up but still saw the same results.
>>
>> Despite the 35M upload I was seeing, I decided my old WRAP platform must
>> be
>> "dated" and ordered a new 500MHz ALIX board.  It arrived yesterday and I
>> replaced the router and now I am seeing about 10M down/35M Up.
>>
>> I re-checked the interfaces, still showing 100M-Full Duplex. Whenever I
>> plug my workstation into the dirty WAN switch (bypassing m0n0wall) I
>> immediately get the 55M/45M speed result.
>>
>> I tried a factory reset of settings and used DHCP on the WAN side, same
>> speed result of 10M/35M.
>>
>> I am at a loss to what my problem is.  I couple of things worth
>> mentioning:
>>
>> 1. I built the old WRAP system many years ago and have just been upgrading
>> the firmware over the years.
>>
>> 2. Since WRAP and ALIX both use the embedded image, I assumed I could just
>> plug my CF card into the new ALIX board and all would be fine - it seems
>> be working fine.
>>
>> 3. I think the old image is just setup on an 8Mb partition of the CF card,
>> but it's actually quite a bit larger card - not sure if I should upgrade
>> the partition size - shouldn't be a speed related issue though.
>>

>> Here is a link to a copy of my status.php.
>>
>> http://pastehtml.com/view/**bwystheel.html<http://pastehtml.com/view/bwystheel.html>
>>

>> Thanks,
>>
>> David
>>

> There have been some speed related oddities with Comcast. See if what is
> discussed here helps any.

http://forum.m0n0.ch/index.**php/topic,5620.msg17054.html#**msg17054<http://forum.m0n0.ch/index.php/topic,5620.msg17054.html#msg17054>

Thanks for the link.

My Comcast SMC modem is set to auto and is seeing the connection as 100Mbit
Full-Duplex, which is the same for my m0n0wall router.  I just now
tried experimenting with turning off auto on both the SMC and the m0n0wall
box (using config file options), then setting both to 100Mbit full-duplex
manually and didn't see any change.

David

--
David Cramblett