[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Brian Lloyd <brian at lloyd dot com>
 To:  Uwe Dippel <udippel at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Some questions on MTU, transmit power
 Date:  Fri, 6 Jul 2012 20:22:19 -0400
On Fri, Jul 6, 2012 at 5:59 PM, Uwe Dippel <udippel at gmail dot com> wrote:

> I dare to ask two questions in one go, hope this is okay.
>
> Recently, we moved to another place which has larger distances and
> thick walls. So the power at the receiving stations is low. I have
> already bumped up the transmit power of the Atheros 5212 from 5 to the
> maximum that I can get, that is txpowmax 32. Still not sufficient ,

I wouldn't expect it to be. Remember, for 802.11 to work, both paths, i.e.
AP-to-client and client-to-AP, have to have sufficient Eb/No for
communications. Turning up the power in the AP improves link margin for the
AP-to-client path but does nothing for the client-to-AP path. OTOH,
improving the antenna on either end improves both paths.

Good luck. Remember you have to improve both paths. That implies increasing
power on both ends or/and improving the antenna(s). BTW, one other thing
about directional antennas is that they not only increase the signal from
the desired direction, they attenuate other signals from other directions
thus improving signal-to-noise ratio.

--
Brian Lloyd, WB6RQN/J79BPL
3191 Western Dr.