[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Ludvik Roubicek <ludvik at roubicek dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Problem with slow and nonreliable IPSec tunnel
 Date:  Tue, 18 Jun 2013 04:31:00 +0200
Hi,

I have found finally the main cause of the problem - 3rd network
interface enabled in Site 2. But not the bug of course. On one end (Site
2) I had enabled all 3 network interfaces and their network was divided
to office and shop. On the other end (Site 1) I had the same board (ALIX
2D3) but only 2 interfaces enabled.

Just repeating: When connecting from PC2 (office network) in Site 2 thru
tunnel to the PC1 in Site 1 using the RDP, it crashed many times (half
of screen loaded, next connection attempt, second half, sometimes
finished on 5th or 10th attempt). It was working fine when connecting
from PC2 to PC1 (opposite direction). When I disabled the tunnel and
used PPTP from PC1 to Site 2, it was working fine and 2–3 times faster
on the same connection (measured by copying large file between sites).

CPU usage on both ends was still 10 – 15 percent. All traffic was
allowed on the firewall.

When I joined both the networks in Site 2 together and disabled the
LAN2, it started to work. Not breaking the RDP anymore. The file
transfer speed was still the same (I didn't have time to test it more
than few minutes), but the communication was reliable.

I'm using the
http://wifi.aspa.cz/alix-2d3-lx800-256-mb-3-lan-1-minipci-usb-z82072/

I just wanted you to know about the problem and resolution.
Thank you all for your help.

Ludvik