[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Steve Yates <steve at teamITS dot com>
 To:  "m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Traffic Shaper Rules Question
 Date:  Wed, 21 Aug 2013 13:50:52 -0500
(reposting to the list since I always forget this list doesn't set the reply-to as the list
address...)

> 1.       I created an alias of network ip range of the suspected users.
>
> 2.       Then I created a traffic shaper pipe of 512Kbps
>
> 3.       Then I entered a traffic shaper rule and choose the interface WAN
> and the intended alias.

	I don't know if that's incorrect, per se, but we used queues as well
based on the examples I found.  I think yours will work, but our rule has:

Target: queue
Source: any
Destination: alias

The queue points to the desired pipe, with a "weight" option.  My example
would be for downloading to the alias IP(s).  We have a matching/reverse
rule for source=alias, destination=any for uploading.

If you view the Status/Traffic Graph page while they are downloading
something big you should see it capped.

	In addition the "Magic shaper wizard" will create a default set of
rules based on deprioritizing peer to peer file sharing traffic.  It will
delete what you have but it will provide examples and a starting point where
you can modify the pipes/queues/etc.

--

Steve Yates
ITS, Inc.