[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Lee Sharp <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Increase number of available ip-addresses
 Date:  Thu, 12 Sep 2013 14:06:15 -0500
On 09/12/2013 04:39 AM, Ralf Petry wrote:
> Hy, (note in advance: my English might be a bit, well, rusty...)
> I'm using m0n0wall mainly with the Voucher function. I understand, that
> the number of available ip-addresses given by the DHCP-Server is
> limited. Nevertheless, I have been asked, if there was the possibility
> to include more than 250 ip-requests. (Don't ask me about the sense...)
> The only way I could imagine, is, with allowing my WLAN-Access Points to
> set up their own subnets and route to the m0n0wall instead of passing
> through the adress-requests from the clients.
>
> Would there be another possibility (e.g. with more subnets dealt by the
> DHCP-service of m0n0wall itself)?

Ditch class C.  172.16.0.0 is class b, and commonly 255.255.0.0 and
10.0.0.0 is class a, commonly 255.0.0.0.

While you can make you class c larger with 192.168.0.0/23 you may have
issues with some applications that do not like classless routing that
gets larger.

Also, when you get a few hundred wireless users on one flat network,
live will suck for most of them.  You could run multiple firewalls...
(Or multiple interfaces, but captive portal can only run on one of them.)

			Lee