[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Lee Sharp <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Question Regarding Network Domain Control and soekris
 Date:  Fri, 13 Sep 2013 00:02:33 -0500
On 09/12/2013 10:36 PM, Gold Dragon Inc. wrote:
> Dear All Expert

Nice salutation!

> I am sorry I have to ask this in this forum because I don't have any
> reference to experts in both ubuntu and Windows environment. I figure,
> m0n0wall experts are the most mixed users here.

Mixed, or mixed up? ;)

> I have two questions:
>
> 1.       What type of soekris is compatible with the latest m0n0wall? Where
> can I buy it? I live in Indonesia.

I have been using retired Wyse Winterms.  (You have to get an x86 one)
They are cheaper, and easier to find here.  Not sure in Indonesia.
These models work...
WT9450XE
WT9455XL
WT3455XL

But if you need to go soekris, most of the current models will work.
But they will be slow.  Not even fast-Ethernet speeds.  About 20-40 meg
without any VPN work...

> 2.       What method to use to set up domain environment like windows
> domain/active directory where user can logon to any computer on the network
> with centralized domain authentication (Username and password) like in
> Windows. I am planning to go from windows to all Linux office environment.
> The method I can think off is NIS server, but some says NIS is outdated
> technology. I am stuck with windows domain/active directory. Don't ask me
> why we move, it is company policy.

You can use LDAP for Linux authentication.  Also samba4, but that seems
silly in an all linux environment.  But if you truly want a portable
desktop, look at LTSP (Linux Terminal Server Project) which is a thin
netboot system on a single server.