[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Lee Sharp <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: SV: [m0n0wall] Increase number of available ip-addresses
 Date:  Fri, 13 Sep 2013 10:42:55 -0500
On 09/13/2013 06:10 AM, Daniel Jokinen wrote:
>> Also, when you get a few hundred wireless users on one flat network, live will suck for most of
them.

> I'd say having a few hundred users on the same network / subnet doesn't necessarily mean trouble.
I have a few of these installations where I have up to about 500 users simultaneously on the same
subnet and as long as you've got gigabit switches with high enough throughput it seems to work fine.
At least it has for me. We even run airprint (that uses multicast) in these networks and it all
works fast and fine.

> I would, however, draw the line somewhere just over 500. Broadcast traffic would probably
seriously flood the network by then.

I have seen broadcast storms cripple a network with as little as 100
users.  If there is one 10/100 switch somewhere, it will be totally
flooded, and the users behind it slammed.  (And what are APs?)

To the OP, save the e-mail where you told them so. :)

			Lee