[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Daniel Jokinen <daniel dot jokinen at linford dot se>
 To:  "m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: SV: [m0n0wall] Increase number of available ip-addresses
 Date:  Fri, 13 Sep 2013 18:34:31 +0200
To be perfectly honest we never use anything else than Cisco wireless enterprise solutions that
consists of ap's with really high throughput, directly connected to a gigabit switch, and we always
avoid 10/100's. Broadcast storm control is a must, I even think it's default in the wireless
controller.

Whenever we've had a 10/100 switch somewhere in there it's just as Lee says, very easy to get
floods.

Netgear recently released a series of copper 10GbE switches in a very affordable pricerange. I have
still to try one, but if it delivers like promised it might very well be the next standard. Imagine
10 gigabit through the entire backbone network. That'd kick it up a notch am I right? :)

Daniel Jokinen

13 sep 2013 kl. 17:51 skrev "Graham Allan" <allan at physics dot umn dot edu>:

>>> I'd say having a few hundred users on the same network / subnet doesn't necessarily mean
trouble. I have a few of these installations where I have up to about 500 users simultaneously on
the same subnet and as long as you've got gigabit switches with high enough throughput it seems to
work fine. At least it has for me. We even run airprint (that uses multicast) in these networks and
it all works fast and fine.

>>> I would, however, draw the line somewhere just over 500. Broadcast traffic would probably
seriously flood the network by then.