[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Lee Sharp <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: SV: SV: [m0n0wall] Increase number of available ip-addresses
 Date:  Mon, 16 Sep 2013 10:11:01 -0500
On 09/16/2013 04:19 AM, Ulrik Lunddahl wrote:

> My point with this comment was to remind everyone that Wireless
 > Ethernet is nothing close to switches, If you have to compare them
 > to anything, they should be seen more like hubs.

Not really.  They do not forward everything, but they do forward all
broadcast.  it is kind of a hubbed switch.  The WiFi side is a hub and
all communication is shared, but the bridge between the WiFi and wired
is switched.  And if you choose "user mode isolation" a lot of the local
side hub goes away, but the contention does not.

WiFi is an ugly design, but it is popular. :)

			Lee