[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Niko <m0n0 at bigpond dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] write error on 1.8.1
 Date:  Thu, 16 Jan 2014 12:41:47 +1030
Well, I tested another flash drive (should mention it's USB not CF) and
the same error in phydiskwrite, and also if i try to boot (correcting
myself here, it is a static \ with blinking cursor _ underneath). I
can't quite understand what is the difference between 1.34 and 1.8.1 in
terms of both of those are signed, how is it so that one can succeed
writing without error?

Platform is Intel Atom board, Intel DN2800MT which has worked perfectly
with all betas.

I'm on Windows so I used WinRAR to extract the image.bin from from
generic-pc-1.8.1.img. I then wrote this with phydiskwrite without error
to USB and successfully booted. I've repeated this several times to make
sure it wasn't an anomaly.

I can't quite see what is unique to my configuration to cause this, and
would expect other users to run into this as well?

On 16/01/2014 3:04 AM, Manuel Kasper wrote:
> You can also decompress the .img using gunzip (it will say something about trailing garbage
ignored, which is the digital signature), and then write the uncompressed file with physdiskwrite.

> What platform are you using the CF card with?
>

> On 15.01.2014, at 16:56, Niko <m0n0 at bigpond dot com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Manuel,
>>
>> Thanks for the reply.
>>
>> I tried booting and it's just at a flashing '\'.  If it helps, the duration of physdiskwrite's
writing process for the final image was only about half that of the time taken to write the beta. It
seems like there really is a write error?

>> I tried 1.34 and it seems okay?
>>
>> M:\mono>physdiskwrite.exe -u generic-pc-1.34.img
>> About to overwrite the contents of disk 3 with new data. Proceed? (y/n) y
>> Found signed compressed image file
>> 10485760/10485760 bytes written in total
>>

>> On 16/01/2014 2:07 AM, Manuel Kasper wrote:
>>> You can ignore this. It's a physdiskwrite bug triggered by the digital signature (which the beta
images do not have) - the image will work anyway.

>>> - Manuel

It fails at the same point each time after the same amount of bytes written. I do not have a spare
flash drive handy to test which is my downfall, so i feel silly asking so soon. However indications
below appear it might not be the flash drive.

against the MD5 on the download page. I've used diskpart to clean the drive and still can't get it
to place nicely.

them and they write to completion, eg. the last beta: