[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Manuel Kasper <mk at neon1 dot net>
 To:  Fred Wright <fw at fwright dot net>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] New Console Treatment In 1.8.1
 Date:  Thu, 16 Jan 2014 10:19:30 +0100
On 16.01.2014, at 02:02, Fred Wright <fw at fwright dot net> wrote:

> Am I correct in assuming that the latter was not intended as a desirable
> change, but rather that it's collateral damage from the former?  It's
> certainly an undesirable change on embedded platforms, where the BIOS can
> be assumed to have set the port to a value consistent with the line (or
> else the BIOS's messages wouldn't work).  Not to mention 9600's being
> rather dated in this day and age, where 115200 is the common speed of
> choice for serial consoles. :-)

The problem is that we couldn't make the previous logic (of reusing the BIOS set speed) work
reliably on FreeBSD 8. If somebody else has the patience to get it to work, it would of course be
appreciated :) From the SVN change log:

- stop patching bootloader: it's kind of hopeless to try and reuse
  the BIOS preset serial baudrate; some BIOSes don't even set it,
  and on ALIX it doesn't work properly either. A fixed 9600 baud
  is probably the lesser evil.

- Manuel