[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Michael A. Alderete" <lists dash 2003 at alderete dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Recommended hardware to replace WRAP board?
 Date:  Tue, 21 Jan 2014 10:37:55 -0800
On Jan 21, 2014, at 7:41 AM, "John Stoffel" <john at stoffel dot org> wrote:

> Lee> This ain't $140.  But it will do gigabit speed between ports and
> Lee> quite a bit of encryption for VPNs.
> Lee> http://www.logicsupply.com/computers/solutions/firewall-networking/fw100f/
>
> Lee> And fanless.  They have some for less if fnaless is not required as well.
>
> LOL, at $500 per, they certainly aren't cheap.  I suspect I'll either
> go with an ALIX board or maybe the new ALU board from PC-Engines.
> This is just a home box I'm thinking of upgrading since I'd like to
> goto m0n0wall 1.8 sometime in the future.

I have kind of a dumb question. I've been running m0n0wall for years on a Soekris box (4501
initially, 4801 currently). And, well, I bought it so long ago, I have no idea how much RAM is in
it. Nor can I remember the size of the CF card.

Is there a way to tell either or both of these from the m0n0wall web GUI? There's only a percentage
gauge on the Status > System screen, and I am left wondering "30% of _what_?". (Yes, that's a
feature suggestion. ;-)

If my RAM is OK, I don't need to upgrade the hardware; I'm sure I have larger CF cards laying around
from old cameras. But the RAM, not really a fixable problem...

If I _do_ need to replace it, I want something similar: low power, low heat, no fan, reliable. But,
if I'm going to upgrade, I'd want something that can handle the 1Gbps fiber Internet connection that
I fantasize is only a year or two away in San Francisco. I haven't seen the newer Soekris products
mentioned in this thread; anyone have experience with them?

Thanks!

Michael
--
Michael A. Alderete
<alderete at haightlife dot com>                tel: +1 (415) 609-5757