[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  <mgraves at mstvp dot com>
 To:  "Michael A. Alderete" <lists dash 2003 at alderete dot com>, m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Recommended hardware to replace WRAP =?UTF-8?Q?board=3F?=
 Date:  Tue, 21 Jan 2014 12:01:15 -0700

initially, 4801 currently). And, well, I bought it so long ago, I have no idea how much RAM is in
it. Nor can I remember the size of the CF card.

> Is there a way to tell either or both of these from the m0n0wall web GUI? There's only a
percentage gauge on the Status > System screen, and I am left wondering "30% of _what_?". (Yes,
that's a feature suggestion. ;-)

> If my RAM is OK, I don't need to upgrade the hardware; I'm sure I have larger CF cards laying
around from old cameras. But the RAM, not really a fixable problem...

> If I _do_ need to replace it, I want something similar: low power, low heat, no fan, reliable.
> But, if I'm going to upgrade, I'd want something that can handle the 1Gbps fiber Internet
connection
> that I fantasize is only a year or two away in San Francisco. I haven't seen the newer Soekris
products
> mentioned in this thread; anyone have experience with them?

I also started out with m0n0wall on a Net4501. Eventually moved to a
Net4801, and then on to an ALIX SBC. The ALIX has 256 MB RAM and was
just updated to v1.8 without issue. It easily handled my 35x5 mbps
Comcast connection.

Soekris somewhat fell behind in hardware for a while. They now have a
newer Net6501 with 600 MHz, 1 GHz or 1.6 GHz Atom CPU's and
Qquad-gigabit NICs. They range from $300-500. A friend was using one but
had some trouble with it overheating. He has since switched to a Netgate
FW7541> he's very happy with that device.

My old Net4801 is still in service on a Megapath DSL circuit that I
maintain as a backup. I've long thought about moving to pfsense so that
I could setup auto-fail-over between the cable and DSL. m0n0wall has
been just so great at handling all the SIP devices that I use that I've
yet to make the migration.

There was a time when pfsense didn't handle SIP as well because of
differences in their NAT implementation.

Michael Graves
mgraves  mstvp.com
o(713) 861-4005
c(713) 201-1262