[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Joschka Blohm <admin at zpt dash muenster dot de>
 To:  "m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Double firewall
 Date:  Sat, 22 Feb 2014 23:34:51 +0100
Hi dear list,

I'm going to install a Sophos UTM. It has an integrated firewall, but I
do not want to throw the m0n0wall out of the rack.
The UTM's main purpose is scanning the traffic for viruses and trojans
and managing the local installations of Sophos Endpoint Protection. I
don't really need its firewall capabilities.
Is there a possibility to design the network with some sort of
redundancy? The m0n0wall box works without moving parts (Alix with CF
card) so I think the UTM box will die before the m0n0wall box in the
worst case. I hope both of them won't but if it is the case that the UTM
has some sort of error I'd like to pop over a cable from the m0n0wall
box to the switch to bridge the connection and can work with system
which has a firewall at least.

Does someone has a similar scenario and can share some insights?
As always any help is appreciated. :)

Regards

Joschka