[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "John Stoffel" <john at stoffel dot org>
 To:  Lee Sharp <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Recommended hardware to replace WRAP board?
 Date:  Mon, 20 Jan 2014 21:15:28 -0500
>> I'm looking into the process of replacing my WRAP board with three
>> ethernet ports at home, partly because of 1.80 now requiring more RAM
>> than I can ever put on this system.  But I'm frugal.

Lee> The question is, how fast do you need to go?  A Wyse WinTerm and a dual
Lee> port Intel nic makes a very good firewall, but only up to about 45meg.

Thanks for the suggestion Lee.  I'm hoping to future proof myself for
another 8 years if I can manage it.

So what I really like about the WRAP board is that it's completely
silent, with no moving parts.  Durable, low power, yet it does what I
need without any problems.  I can't even remember when I bought that
board, but it's been rock solid for a long long time, probably eight
years?  About when I joined the m0n0wall list for the first time, and
I had the board then.

Anyway, it's time to replace it with, ideally, something just as power
efficient, quiet and with no moving parts.  I'm really liking the new
PC-engines APU board, assuming it will work reliably, and it $140 plus
power supply and case, it's not too bad, esp over 8 years.

John