[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Manuel Kasper <mk at neon1 dot net>
 To:  David Cooper <david underscore cooper at elwyn dot org>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Wording for Inbound NAT page on M0n0wall 1.0
 Date:  Sat, 28 Feb 2004 18:53:58 +0100
On 27.02.2004 15:26 -0500, David Cooper wrote:

> I'm seeing some inconsistency with two of the PHP pages.
>
> On the firewall:nat page that lists the inbound nat configurations
> it lists
>
> Proto       Ext. Port Range      Nat IP (ext. IP)    Int Port range
>
> Yet on the configuration page, it lists
>
> External Address
> Protocol
> External Port range
> NAT IP
> Local Port
>
> It is easy to figure out how they match up, but for NAT IP, the
> list/status says external and the configuration page says internal.
> Which is it, and what value is supposed to be in there?

"(ext. IP)" is only used with server NAT - if you use an external
address other than the WAN interface's IP address, that address will
appear in brackets below the "NAT IP" in the list. That's why the
list header has "(ext. IP)" on a separate line below NAT IP. I agree
that this is a bit confusing, as it might give one the impression
that the "NAT IP" is the "ext. IP", which of course is wrong. There
wasn't enough room to add another column to the NAT list, so that's
why I put it there. I think I'll just remove "ext. IP" from the list
header and instead make special (server NAT) external addresses
appear with an "ext.:" prefix below the NAT IP - that should make
things clear and not confuse the majority of users that don't use
server NAT anyway.

- Manuel