[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Adam Nellemann <adam at nellemann dot nu>
 To:  "m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  m0n0wall compatible Gigabit hardware?
 Date:  Mon, 01 Mar 2004 16:21:28 +0100
Hi,

Since I will hopefully soon have a fileserver running, I consider
upgrading my LAN to Gigabit, so as to handle the load (my fileserver
is capable of sustaining around 30MB/s from its RAID arrays).

However, there are a few things I'm a bit uncertain about:

Since I use m0n0wall as the firewall between my LAN and WAN (ADSL
2Mbit), I guess that I don't need to equip the m0n0wall PC with a
Gigabit NIC. This is assuming that there will not be a problem
connecting the 100Mbit NIC in m0n0wall with a Gigabit switch. I
further assume that the same goes for any wireless accesspoint I might
want to use on the LAN, which would either be connected directly to
the Gigabit switch, or to m0n0wall through a 100Mbit NIC on OPT1.

Are these assumptions correct? If not, what kind of problems should I
be aware of and what else could I do?

I would also like to hear about any specific Gigabit hardware that is
known to work well in conjunction with m0n0wall and/or wireless APs?
(Switches as well as NICs)

Thanks,

Adam.