[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  marc at omschaub dot serveftp dot net
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Traffic Shaping Question
 Date:  Wed, 3 Mar 2004 09:07:30 -0500 (EST)
Hello all,

I need a little help with traffic shaping..  (I so stuuupid)

What I am trying to do is limit the output of port 6881 to as little as
possible.  Sounds easy, well I thought so too.  I put in a simple pipe to
limit to 1 kbit/s and set up the rule as follows:

	<shaper>
		<pipe>
			<bandwidth>1</bandwidth>
			<mask>source</mask>
			<descr>upload throttle</descr>
		</pipe>
		<rule>
			<interface>wan</interface>
			<protocol>tcp</protocol>
			<source>
				<address>DellServer</address>
				<port>6881</port>
			</source>
			<destination>
				<any/>
			</destination>
			<direction>out</direction>
			<iplen/>
			<tcpflags/>
			<descr>BT Upload</descr>
			<targetpipe>0</targetpipe>
		</rule>
		<rule>
			<interface>wan</interface>
			<protocol>udp</protocol>
			<source>
				<address>DellServer</address>
				<port>6881</port>
			</source>
			<destination>
				<any/>
			</destination>
			<direction>out</direction>
			<iplen/>
			<tcpflags/>
			<descr>BT Upload</descr>
			<targetpipe>0</targetpipe>
		</rule>
		<enable/>
	</shaper>

I have read this a million times, and by all accounts it should work.... I
am obviously missing something stupid (yes it IS turned on).  And yes, I
have double checked the program I am using and it goes through port 6881.
I normally have between 30 and 80 connections out from that port at any
given time (netstat -n).  I have tried this with the mask at source and
none and neither works.

Still the upload goes at full speed (5KB/s --my max-- at least as far as
the program says (Azureus is the prog)).

I need help.

B.T.W. Runung V1.0

Thanks