[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Bart Smit" <bit at pipe dot nl>
 To:  gr at redskycom dot net
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] PROBLEMS WRITING TO THE FLASH MEMORY
 Date:  Thu, 4 Mar 2004 10:52:04 +0100 (CET)
gr at redskycom dot net said:

> Then if I go to the windows explorer I see the flash card still empty

That is to be expected. After writing the raw binary image, the CF
card does not contain any stuff that Windows would understand. You
certainly won't see any files there.

> I also tried to put the card after it to the 45xx and try to connect
> through the port com

First things first. Make sure that you can 'talk' to the net4501.
Connect a terminal emulator (or even a real terminal!). Default speed
of Soekris console is 19200 baud. Play with the bios variables. Change
the console speed to 9600. Gain confidence.

(off-topic part of discussion ends here)

Once you have your net4501 talking to you and ready to boot, pop in
the m0n0wall card, and off you go.

Having said that, I don't think it is strictly necessary to have
console access if you have a Soekris. You can also take the default
image, boot it blindly, and connect your computer to the LAN
interface (sis0). You can get your network settings over DHCP or
configure by hand. m0n0wall is 192.168.1.1; use an address in the
same (192.168.1.*) range. But if you get stuck with this approach,
go to the console and look at what's happening.

(and don't yell please)

--B