[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Christiaens Joachim <jchristi at oce dot be>
 To:  "'Adam Nellemann'" <adam at nellemann dot nu>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] A few GUI related suggestions
 Date:  Thu, 4 Mar 2004 11:46:36 +0100

[snip]

> Some of you may remember my suggestion for some way of interfacing
> with m0n0wall without going through the GUI. This would be to allow
> people (such as I) to produce various binary "clients" capable of
> interacting with m0n0wall (such as for monitoring or time-based rule
> changes etc.)
>
> I fully understand why this was considered somewhat out of the scope
> of m0n0wall. However, I would like to suggest a less complicated
> alternative, which would both make the above "clients" possible (to
> some extent at least) AND provide an easy way for m0n0wall
> administrators to automate and/or script various tasks:
>
> By means of a PHP page, a little like the exec.php, it could be made
> possible to affect certain changes and actions in m0n0wall, normally
> done through the webGUI, by way of some parameters given directly in
> the URL for the PHP page.

an alternative way to do this, would be to make it possible to
upload/download the config.xml via a PHP page, but in a scriptable way (if
this isn't possible yet). This way, changes could be made externally to the
config and put in place.

Only problem is that you would need to reboot each time... or some processes
could be restarted after the process, just like adjusting stuff in the GUI
that doesn't need a reboot.

Just an alternative maybe (and somewhat easyer to implement).

Joachim

MISSION STATEMENT

DISCLAIMER

any computer.