[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  <EXT dash Mike dot Bradshaw at nokia dot com>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] A few GUI related suggestions
 Date:  Thu, 4 Mar 2004 15:02:01 +0200

How about writing something in Perl?
I have only briefly played with the LWP package (and i am a real beginner in Perl Hacking), but it
did what i needed in a few lines.

Only downside i can see is if Manuel changes the HTML that is produced (so that your parseing code
no-longer works).

In *Concept* this is similar to the Yahoo/Hotmail etc downloaders that are out there.
Some open source projects that might have code you can gain inspiration from.
http://freshmeat.net/projects/webbiff/
http://freshmeat.net/projects/yosucker/
http://freshmeat.net/projects/fetchyahoo/
http://freshmeat.net/projects/gotmail/

the reason for suggesting this is that m0n0 stays Clean/Simple/Good.
This complex stuff runs on another machine which connects to m0n0 to perform the work, via the nice
Standard port 80/443 provided pages, so there is only ONE place where paramters are altered (well
baring hacking the XML file :)

just some thoughts
mike