[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Guillaume Barthelemy <gblist at gbmd dot co dot uk>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] All CF cards created equally?
 Date:  Thu, 4 Mar 2004 14:14:51 GMT
--------------------8<--------------------

--------------------8<--------------------
>> so it looks like i will have to go and buy a new card :(, unless
> >someone can suggest a better method.

Hi all, first post here...

I have just succeeded in flashing m0n0wall after a number of failed attempts, from a WinXP box,
having no *nix machine with a CF writer easily available (although my next try would have consisted
in booting the Windows boxen with a CD based Linux distribution like Knoppix and trying a more
native version of dd).

I have tried 2 cards, an 8MB Canon FC-8M which is probably fitted with a Hitachi  XXM2.2.0
controller (it advertises itself as that) and a 16 MB SanDisk. The writer on the XP box is a USB2
"In-Win CR i500" and I tried both dd.exe and physdiskwrite.

Both cards work (they can be VFAT formatted, and I can R/W files to them), however flashing the
generic-pc image with dd resulted in non-bootable CF cards (error 87 as well), and interestingly
flashing the Canon with physdiskwrite resulted in a m0n0wall booting but then it would ultimately
fail to start with this error message (as experienced recently by Kevin Sexton):

FATAL ERROR
The device that contains the configuration file (config.xml) could not be found.

Flashing the 16MB SanDisk with physdiskwrite resulted in a working m0n0wall, which will run happily
on a Lex CV860A-3R53 mini-itx motherboard, the on-board CF/IDE adaptor being master on the secondary
channel.

So maybe getting a new card will work for you. I can report that SanDisk works for me, your mileage
may vary.
Try booting your Windows box with Knoppix on CD, that'll probably work.

--
Guillaume