[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Aaron Robinson <aaron at robinson dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] All CF cards created equally?
 Date:  Thu, 4 Mar 2004 16:52:50 -0800
On Mar 3, 2004, at 11:06 PM, <EXT dash Mike dot Bradshaw at nokia dot com> wrote:

> The continuing saga of attempting to get this Verbatim 32M CF card to
> work.
> Due to having NO current working Un*x boxes, everything has been done
> on MS Windows.
>
> what i tried last night:

Mike,

One suggestion that I would give is to use a bootable livecd (if you
want a gui) or a floppy distribution (which I have not explored yet).
You don't have to touch your windows installation and it's a quick and
easy way to keep a linux distribution around.

I used slax from http://slax.linux-live.org/ and it worked just fine
once once I got over some human typing error. It boots just fine and
gives me a linux machine without having to install it to my HD.

Once it's was booted, just type...
gunzip -c wrap-1.0.img | dd of=/dev/<your flash device here> bs=16k

For figuring out what device it is, you might find the e-mail below
written by Jim Gifford of use...

Oh, and I am using 20MB Sandisks in a linnix.com (cheap, functional) CF
IDE adapter.

I hope this is helpful,
Aaron