[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Hilton Travis <Hilton at QuarkAV dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] need help with DMZ setup, and broken ipsec tunnels
 Date:  Fri, 05 Mar 2004 11:24:49 +1000
Hi Jim,

On Thu, 2004-03-04 at 16:20, Jim Gifford wrote:
> Well, after having spent 3 days pounding on this, I finally found a bad
> ethernet cable that was causing all sorts of funky behavior.  Replacing
> the cable and rebooting the m0n0wall fixed the DMZ issues I was having.
> Server NAT is working fine.  The cutover to the m0n0wall setup from
> the old linksys NAT box was otherwise painless.  Network downtime for
> clients was less than 2 minutes.
>
> The client is extremely pleased with the result.

Glad to hear its all working and you have a happy client.  Happy clients
are nice clients - they generally refer you to their colleagues.  :)

Dodgey Ethernet cables can be a right cnut to detect and will, as you
mentioned, play havoc with all of your tests and troubleshooting
procedures.  Especially those that work 99% of the time, usually this 1%
doesn't fall due when testing the said cables.  :(

VPN connections being made to a device instead of a network are a common
fault.  Unfortunately, errors like this are REALLY easy to overlook - to
the point of recreating the same error when blowing the connection away
and starting from scratch.  Sometimes the janitor can help!  :)

--

Regards,

				http://www.mamboband.org/