[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Jim Gifford <jim at giffords dot net>
 To:  "'m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch'" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Access to webGUI using generic-pc-1.0.img -more in fo
 Date:  Fri, 5 Mar 2004 09:42:04 -0500
Ok, I'll try a few more things.  What address are you getting from DHCP?
By default, the dynamic range is 192.168.1.100 through 192.168.1.199, and
it gives them out from the top down, so the first machine should get
192.168.1.199.  If this isn't what you see, then there's some other
problem here.  Also, after you get the DHCP lease, try seeing what your
arp tables look like.  That'd be arp -na under linux for example.  After
that, check your routing tables.  That'd be netstat -nr under linux.  If
you can use a linux box to test with, try running 'tcpdump -n -i eth0'
before attempting to access the web gui and see what kind of traffic you
see.  Also, many web browsers don't always treat a raw IP address as an
IP address, and instead try to do an automated internet search for it
instead.  Make sure you use http://192.168.1.1/ as the URL.
Additionally, make sure you launch the web browser *after* acquiring the
DHCP lease.  Many web browsers will cache the dns resolving stuff and ip
address stuff upon startup, and won't always behave properly if the
network config changes after browser startup.

Oh yeah, while running tcpdump, see if you can ping 192.168.1.1, it
should respond to pings.

Hope this helps,
jim

On Fri, Mar 05, 2004 at 02:14:22PM -0000, Barber, Patrick (MCI) wrote:
> For testing to LAN interface I was using a cross over cable

or maybe a crossover cable? You said you found no ports open, but DHCP works... broadcast VS
unicast... hmmm :-s

> Joachim

innovative print and document management products and services for professional environments.

> DISCLAIMER
> This e-mail message and any attachment are intended for the sole use of the
> recipient(s) named above and may contain information which is confidential and/or protected by
intellectual property rights. Any use of the information contained herein (including, but not
limited to, total or partial reproduction, communication or distribution in any form) by other
persons than the designated recipient(s) is prohibited.

> If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender either by telephone
(0032-2-729.48.11) or by e-mail and delete the material from any computer.
Oce-Belgium/Oce-Interservices is nor responsible for the correct and complete transfer of the
contents of the sent e-mail, neither for the receipt on due time.  This e-mail message does not
bring about a contractual obligation for Oce-Belgium/Oce-Interservices.