[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Adam Nellemann <adam at nellemann dot nu>
 To:  Hilton at QuarkAV dot com
 Cc:  "m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] m0n0wall compatible Gigabit hardware?
 Date:  Fri, 05 Mar 2004 17:20:41 +0100
Hi,

Thanks for all the info HiltonT!

> The only issue would be the type of switch in use.

I guess I should make sure to get a 10/100/1000 (or at least a
100/1000) switch then. Hope this doesn't make them much more expensive!

> Gigabit anywhere near current wireless kit is complete and utter
> overkill.  The fastest commonly available WiFi protocol is 54Mbps,
> achieving a shared bandwidth of about 30Mbps if you have a homogenous
> 802.11g network.  This drops significantly if you have a heterogenous
> 802.11b/802.11g network.  The new "Super G" standard of 108Mbps works
> ONLY in a homogenous environment, delivering about 55-60Mbps of shared
> actual throughput.

The idea was to use Gigabit to my workstation (I'll then have to learn
to live with the cable of course), but preserve the wireless for my
other, less speed craving, machines.

Regarding the wireless AP: The reason I asked about this was that I'm
not completely satisfied with my current setup, with a wireless card
on OPT1. As far as I can see, this only gives me about 2Mbps per host!
I assume a dedicated AccessPoint will perform better than that (also
it would give me an excuse for upgrading to G, possibly even Super G,
if I can find the gear!)

I guess there would be some advantage in placing the AP on OPT1
through a 100Mbps NIC, instead of going through the Gigabit switch.

> As for Gigabit cards that are supported in m0n0wall, that WOULD be
> interesting as I'm sure many people would be looking this way in the
> foreseeable future for their LAN/DMZ interface, not necessarily for
> their WAN interface (and if anyone DOES have a Gigabit connection to the
> Internet, PLEASE let me know!!!)

Well, I don't know if they use Gigabit NICs, but I think my brother
has around 4.5Gbps on the job (and thats not even their full
bandwidth, if I remember correctly!)

Adam.