[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Hilton Travis <Hilton at QuarkAV dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] DMZ
 Date:  Sat, 06 Mar 2004 08:13:35 +1000
Hi Stevem,

On Fri, 2004-03-05 at 20:43, steven murphy wrote:
> ok how do i set up a DMZ, and if i sert up a DMZ can it be a whole
> network of computers(IP range or whole subnet), or is it a single
> computer? how do I set up both of those?

It is either a single PC or a network on an additional NIC (OPT1)
installed in the m0n0wall machine.  You need to give the 3rd NIC an
address on a different network to the other 2 NICs, and then follow the
instructions in the webGUI.  You just need to think your security needs
out before implementing the DMZ, and google for some information on what
a DMZ is, and how it should be used.

The Documentation project for m0n0wall should be filling out soonish,
and no doubt will cover the different ways to configure DMZs, and the
reasons for these options.

> is m0n0 Wall compatable with this:
> http://www.mobl.com/expansion/pci/7slot3233/index.html

I cannot see why it wouldn't be - all this box does is add extra 33 MHz
32 bit PCI slots to an existing motherboard with a single spare PCI
slot.  As you can imagine, adding multiple 100Base TX NICs (all running
at 25 MB/sec, theoretically) will quickly chew up the 132 MB/sec of
total PCI bus throughput, so after adding NIC number 5, you'll be
gaining no additional performance in your router as the PCI bus will be
crippling the throughput.  This will occur faster with this expansion
unit installed as I can guarantee that it will utilize a bit of the PCI
bandwidth itself.

--

Regards,

				http://www.mamboband.org/