[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Hilton Travis <Hilton at QuarkAV dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Adding a Print Server?
 Date:  Sat, 06 Mar 2004 08:45:19 +1000
Hi Louis,

On Sat, 2004-03-06 at 01:45, lsantil at dslextreme dot com wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> Would adding a print server to m0n0wall be difficult?  Glancing over the
> FreeBSD handbook
> <http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/printing-intro-setup.html>,
> it doesn't seem to be too bad.  Is there anything I should be aware of
> when setting it up?

m0n0wall is a firewall.  See the "wall" bit on the end of its name?
This means that m0n0wall is a security device, not a general purpose
server.  A print server does not belong on a security device, nor does a
file server, ftp server, game server, Quake clone, or a database of the
50 hottest women as rated by FHM Magazine.

Adding a print server to a security device is like lockign up your house
and then leaving the kitchen window on the ground floor open - it
reduces the security m0n0wall provides to the point of not being worth
implementing m0n0wall at all.

So, in other words, YES - adding a print server to m0n0wall would be
very difficult to justify, if you consider why m0n0wall exists.

--

Regards,

				http://www.mamboband.org/