[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Hilton Travis <Hilton at QuarkAV dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Which version of pptp?
 Date:  Sat, 06 Mar 2004 08:50:26 +1000
Hi Francisco,

On Sat, 2004-03-06 at 03:24, Francisco Reyes wrote:
> On Fri, 5 Mar 2004, Manuel Kasper wrote:
>
> > On your views as far as the definition of "safe" or "secure" is
> > concerned... From <http://www.schneier.com/paper-pptpv2.html>:
>
> > to protect. If it's very valuable, PPTP is probably the wrong tool
> > for the job anyway.
>
> Thanks for the info and reference.
> Any URLs about IPsec as it pertains to M0n0wall.
> In particular will I need to buy clients for the windows machines?
>
> ps that is a question to anyone in the list.. not particular to Manuel
> (who has been already extra helpfull).

PPTP is well known to be not the most security-conscious VPN protocol.
Oh, and an 8 character password is about half the length you'd need to
even start considering it secure - and that includes
upper/lower/non-alpha characters.  Thi$ISN0tA$3cur3P4$$w0rd in case you
didn't know.  :)

IPSEC on m0n0wall is fairly straightforward.  If you want to connect
Windows boxen, then yes, you will need 3rd party cliens as Microsoft
surprisingly crippled and mangled their IPSEC client on W2K/WXP to not
work with FreeS/WAN compliant IPSEC servers properly.  Netgear produces
a cheap IPSEC client, but I've not played with it.

--

Regards,

				http://www.mamboband.org/