[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Debian User <somakoma at gmx dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Traffic Shaping/p2p Question
 Date:  Sat, 06 Mar 2004 13:46:35 +0100
Hi,

first of all, m0n0wall is a great piece of software. it replaces our old
netgear 614 (which worked fine, unless there was not much traffic,
especially upload from p2p) in the home-network (10 clients).
Now i figured out how to set up the shaper rules, at least i think so.
and thats why i'd like to hear your opinions.

I did traffic shaping mainly on the wan interface (outgoing) receiving
best results with 3 queues (75=http, https, dns, ack, syn; 20=pop3,
smtp, ftp; 5=p2p (all ports above 444)). These are sent through a pipe
reflecting my total outgoing bandwidth, to prevent the dsl modem puffer
to get full or even used. This pipe 1 is set so 100 kbit/s for a
Dsl-Line with 128 kbit/s upstream.
But in peak times the problem also sometimes occured, that interactive
traffic slowed down. So i thought it might be a good idea to make
another rule:

send all incoming p2p-traffic (again all ports tcp and udp starting from
444)from Lan through pipe2=50-80 Kbit/s (not sure about the optimum
speed yet-im still testing...). These rules are on top of all others.

Now here's my question about this "strategy":

when i do this double shaping of p2p-traffic, i mean shaping it on the
lan down to 50-80kbit/s, will this traffic also be affected by the
queue-rules i added for it on the outgoing wan? (because: "first rule
that matches a packet will be executed")?

Or does anyone have other ideas about this problem with p2p and
interactive traffic, im sure im not the only one ;-)

Thanks

Manuel