[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Hilton Travis <Hilton at QuarkAV dot com>
 To:  "m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] m0n0wall compatible Gigabit hardware?
 Date:  Fri, 05 Mar 2004 08:29:21 +1000
Hi Adam,

On Tue, 2004-03-02 at 01:21, Adam Nellemann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Since I will hopefully soon have a fileserver running, I consider
> upgrading my LAN to Gigabit, so as to handle the load (my fileserver
> is capable of sustaining around 30MB/s from its RAID arrays).
>
> However, there are a few things I'm a bit uncertain about:
>
> Since I use m0n0wall as the firewall between my LAN and WAN (ADSL
> 2Mbit), I guess that I don't need to equip the m0n0wall PC with a
> Gigabit NIC.

That's for sure!

> This is assuming that there will not be a problem
> connecting the 100Mbit NIC in m0n0wall with a Gigabit switch.

If your switch is a 10/100/1000 switch, then this will work fine.  If
its a 1000-only switch, then it obviously won't work.

> I further assume that the same goes for any wireless accesspoint I
> might want to use on the LAN, which would either be connected
> directly to the Gigabit switch, or to m0n0wall through a 100Mbit
> NIC on OPT1.

If the switch is 10/100/1000, then you're fine.  If it is connected to
OPT1 on your m0n0wall, then you are fine, too.

> Are these assumptions correct? If not, what kind of problems should I
> be aware of and what else could I do?

The only issue would be the type of switch in use.

> I would also like to hear about any specific Gigabit hardware that is
> known to work well in conjunction with m0n0wall and/or wireless APs?
> (Switches as well as NICs)

Gigabit anywhere near current wireless kit is complete and utter
overkill.  The fastest commonly available WiFi protocol is 54Mbps,
achieving a shared bandwidth of about 30Mbps if you have a homogenous
802.11g network.  This drops significantly if you have a heterogenous
802.11b/802.11g network.  The new "Super G" standard of 108Mbps works
ONLY in a homogenous environment, delivering about 55-60Mbps of shared
actual throughput.

As for Gigabit cards that are supported in m0n0wall, that WOULD be
interesting as I'm sure many people would be looking this way in the
foreseeable future for their LAN/DMZ interface, not necessarily for
their WAN interface (and if anyone DOES have a Gigabit connection to the
Internet, PLEASE let me know!!!)

--

Regards,

				http://www.mamboband.org/