[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "David Kitchens" <spider at webweaver dot com>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Strange Wireless Behavior
 Date:  Sat, 6 Mar 2004 20:32:30 -0500
Hi Gang,
Doing some wireless testing with a Soekris 4521 using a Netgate MiniPCI
wireless adaptor. I'm using the 1.0 Monowall image and the AP is functioning
extremely well. I am amazed that I can go almost 100 yards in any direction
of my home and still have a signal! The 5dbi antennae that Netgate has is
just amazing, I can't wait to try my 14dbi Hawking antennae!

Now to my problem, I first set things up with no encryption and I had my
laptop plugged into the LAN as well so I didn't see the problem right off.
It seems after some testing that monowall is only giving a dhcp address to
LAN clients. It will not give an address to my laptops Orinocco wireless
card unless my DLink PCMCIA is plugged in at the same time. Now it gets even
wierder, if I turn encryption ON, the Orinocco card will not get an IP
address at all! The Orinocco utility says it is connected to the AP but with
0.0.0.0 as an IP, if I ipconfig /renew, it gets a 169. windows default
address. Only by turning off WEP can I get an IP from monowall and only if
its hard wired to LAN. Once I get an IP, I can surf the web fine as I made a
rule to allow all traffic on OPT1 which is the wireless interface.

Am I missing something here? I assumed the DHCP server should dole out IP's
to any WIC that comes into range.

Dave