[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Hilton Travis <Hilton at QuarkAV dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Filtering VPN Traffic?
 Date:  Fri, 05 Mar 2004 08:34:58 +1000
Hi Falcor,

On Tue, 2004-03-02 at 15:09, Falcor wrote:
> Um, question.  I have a VPN from one m0n0wall to another, works great.
>  In testing out some ACLs to limit access from one network to the other
> (E.g. allow SSH to host 1, 2, 3, but no rules for hosts 4, 5, 6)
>
> I have the block rules in the firewall, under LAN interface, but that
> did not work.  I then tried WAN interface and no work.  I am writing the
> rules based on the network range of the remote network.
>
> So:
>
> Local network is 192.168.100.0 / 24
> remote network is 10.254.254.0/24
>
> Rules state:
> 1.) allow ICMP from 10.254.254.0/24 to 192.168.100.151
> 2.) Block all from 10.254.254.0/24 to *
>
> We have no blocking happening as our test host on the 10.254.254.0/\24
> network is able to access any and all TCP/UDP ports on all hosts.
>
> help!

A VPN is a Virtual Private Network.  It securely connects two machines,
networks, or a machine and a network together across an insecure medium,
such as the Internet.  Because the machines on each end of the VPN are
effectively completely networked together, there's no functionality in
any VPN I've seen to filter this traffic out - a network is a network.
:)

If you want to limit access to particular machines, then the servers
wishing the limited access need to have ACLs in place to only allow
authorized machines to access their services - this is not the function
of the VPN, per se.

--

Regards,

				http://www.mamboband.org/