[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Phill R Kenoyer <phill at bmg50 dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Disk-On-Chip?
 Date:  Mon, 8 Mar 2004 13:02:17 -0800
Net Nimble offered to replace my hardware with the Soekris hardware so
that I can run m0n0wall on them.  I've just got to say that they have
done everything they can to solve my issues.  They have been great.  I
highly recommend them for wireless hardware.  NetNimble.net.

On Mar 8, 2004, at 10:39 AM, David Rodgers wrote:

> Ahh ... ok ... the diskonchip units that I have seen just look like a
> black plastic lump that plugs right into
> an ide channel.
>
> You may also want to hit ebay and look for a nokia ip120 before you
> invest in a soekris box.
>
> I won an ip120 for $56US
>
> they are functionally equivalent to a soekris 4801
>
> Pentium class 266 cpu
> 128mb memory
> 3 ethernet ports
>
> and they come with a 10 gig hard drive
>
> In mine I replaced the hard drive with one of these
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?
> ViewItem&item=2791353055&category=51076
>
> The one I am using is only 64 megabytes though and I got it for $5US
>
> David Rodgers
>

> On Mar 8, 2004, at 10:02 AM, Phill R Kenoyer wrote:
>
>> But this diskonchip is soldered onto a mini-computer.  This thing
>> doesn't even have a serial port on it.  I guess I'll just have to
>> replace it with a Soekris dual radio setup and scrap this Net Nimble
>> system.  I don't see being able to do anything without having some
>> other equipment to plug into it.
>>
>> On Mar 8, 2004, at 6:31 AM, David Rodgers wrote:
>>
>>> Yes ... it is functionally no different than setting it up with a cf
>>> card and an ide adapter. Just plug the diskonchip into a additional
>>> ide
>>> interface then boot the machine and use dd to copy the image to the
>>> /dev/hde(or whatever ide channel you chose)
>>>
>>> The diskonchip devices are pretty cool and really cheap on ebay these
>>> days. The first time I saw them was at a trade show. MicroTiK
>>> was selling their router software flashed onto them.
>>> http://www.microtik.com/
>>>
>>> David Rodgers

smime.p7s (2.9 KB, application/pkcs7-signature)