[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Fred Wright <fw at well dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Install on PC that Can't Boot from CD
 Date:  Tue, 19 Aug 2003 17:15:05 -0700 (PDT)
On Tue, 19 Aug 2003, Greg Sims wrote:

> The PC has two Ethernet adapters installed.  When I select option 1) from
> the console, the system identifies the adapters as al0 and dc0.  The dc0
> adapter was originally in the system and is known to work under FreeBSD
> prior to installing the second adapter.  I added al0 to the PC for my work
> with m0n0wall.  I configured the adapters (option 1) and attached cables.
> The problem is that I only get a link light on al0 and can not get a light
> on dc0.  The webGUI is available via al0 after configuring the LAN address.
>
> I wonder if I have an address conflict between the two Ethernet adapters.

Doubtful.  But only the LAN can be configured from the console (except for
"categorizing" the ports, which can *only* be done from the console).
Any remaining interfaces need to be configured via the WebGUI.  Until
then, they're inoperative.  The options are also somewhat
limited; e.g. only a "WAN" interface can be a DHCP client.

> I'm not sure how to sort this out now that m0n0wall is installed on the
> master hard disk.  The installation of m0n0wall likely removed the FreeBSD
> boot manager as I'm not given an option to boot the second hard disk on
> power up.  This implies that I don't have access to FreeBSD without
> installing yet again.

Yup.  That's what happens when you do a disk-image install. :-)

					Fred Wright