[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Greg Sims" <greg underscore sims at earthlink dot net>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Install on PC that Can't Boot from CD
 Date:  Mon, 18 Aug 2003 22:56:59 -0700
Hi There,

I'm testing m0n0wall on an old 586 PC that has two hard disks.  I first
discovered the BIOS in the PC is not able to boot from CD so I couldn't
install using the CD + Floppy path.  I decided to load FreeBSD 4.8 onto the
Master hard disk and also configured boot manager.  This was possible using
the two floppy boot sequence provided with FreeBSD (kern.flp and
mfsroot.flp).  I FTPed the generic-pc-pbxrxx.img file onto the new system
and ran the gzcat ... | dd of=/dev/rad1 bs=16k.  This placed the m0n0wall
image on the second hard disk of the PC.

I booted the PC which went to the boot manager.  I placed a floppy with
/conf/config.xml in the floppy drive and asked book manager to boot from the
second hard disk.  m0n0wall seems to boot correctly but can't find the
config.xml file at the end of the boot sequence just before entering the
main menu.  I select option 1) from the main menu and I receive a similar
config.xml not found error message.

It does not appear that the system is trying to read the floppy drive.
Perhaps the system is trying to find config.xml in the root directory of the
hard disk.  Is config.xml stored on the hard disk when running on a Soekris
or a PC with no floppy?  If this is the case, how do you get the config.xml
file onto the hard disk in the first place?  Is it part of the .img?  If
this is the case, why can't m0n0wall find the file?  Hmmm.

I feel like I'm close to getting m0n0wall working but need a push in the
right direction.  Any help would be appreciated!

Greg

PS.  Is it possible to boot the PC from kern.flp / mfsroot.flp and transfer
control to the m0n0wall CD image somehow?