[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Greg Sims" <greg underscore sims at earthlink dot net>
 To:  "Frans J King" <kingf1 at cs dot man dot ac dot uk>
 Cc:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Two Lan Subnets / One with DHCP Server
 Date:  Wed, 27 Aug 2003 10:27:04 -0700
Let's see if I can give you a better idea of the goal here ...

We'd like to have two subnets called: "equipment" and "client".

The equipment subnet has all the network equipment attached.  The addresses
on this subnet will be statically assigned.   The subnet will have no
bandwidth limitations. m0n0wall needs to be part of this subnet for web
access.

The clients attach to the client subnet.  The addresses on this subnet need
to be DHCP as the client population changes from day to day.  We will give
everyone on the subnet the same bandwidth limitation.

The equipment and client subnets will both use m0n0wall as their gateway.
m0n0wall will use the WAN NIC to attach to the Internet.  There will be no
routing between the equipment and client subnets to keep them as separate as
possible.

I would like to do this with two NICs if possible but I am willing to use
three NICs if this is the only way with m0n0wall.

Greg