[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Fred Wright <fw at well dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] DNS Issues
 Date:  Tue, 19 Aug 2003 12:17:35 -0700 (PDT)
On Tue, 19 Aug 2003, Phil Greenway wrote:

> I've had the same issues with running it at home. As you say, it bypasses
> and that's the only way I've been able to get DNS to work.
>
> I tried using the Ping from the WebGUI but it couldn't resolve the name.

Then you don't have DNS configured properly on it.  Do you have at least
one of your ISP's DNS servers configured on the System: General Setup
page?  It looks like you want:

	203.2.75.2
	203.2.75.12

Now it's true that it needs firewall rules to permit the DNS traffic, but
those should be set up automatically without having to enter them on the
Firewall: Rules page.  And if this weren't set up correctly, it would
prevent the DNS traffic from other machines from working as well.

> PS. Sorry Fred, didn't mean to send it just to you originally.

Common mistake.  I've suggested fixing the Reply-to on the listserver, but
to no avail.

					Fred Wright