[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Greg Sims" <greg underscore sims at earthlink dot net>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Install on PC that Can't Boot from CD
 Date:  Tue, 19 Aug 2003 15:29:17 -0700
I installed m0n0wall onto the primary master IDE hard disk from a FreeBSD
system running on the secondary hard disk.  The system boots and I am able
to use the webGUI.  Progress is being made!

The PC has two Ethernet adapters installed.  When I select option 1) from
the console, the system identifies the adapters as al0 and dc0.  The dc0
adapter was originally in the system and is known to work under FreeBSD
prior to installing the second adapter.  I added al0 to the PC for my work
with m0n0wall.  I configured the adapters (option 1) and attached cables.
The problem is that I only get a link light on al0 and can not get a light
on dc0.  The webGUI is available via al0 after configuring the LAN address.

I wonder if I have an address conflict between the two Ethernet adapters.
I'm not sure how to sort this out now that m0n0wall is installed on the
master hard disk.  The installation of m0n0wall likely removed the FreeBSD
boot manager as I'm not given an option to boot the second hard disk on
power up.  This implies that I don't have access to FreeBSD without
installing yet again.

There must be an easier way to install on an old PC that can't boot from CD.
Any ideas on how to proceed from here?

Thanks, Greg