[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Instigater" <bloo at sveiks dot lv>
 To:  "M0n0wall" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Monowall box unresponsive when using Bittorrent or newsgroups
 Date:  Tue, 9 Mar 2004 02:59:19 +0200
I have found that this problem rises due to hardware bugs. Right now I have
one m0n0 box as experimental router. So here is my story.
Box is router for real IP addresses on all networks. LAN, WAN and OPT1. LAN
is 100Mbit ethernet, WAN = Aironet 4800 BSS mode, OPT1 = Prism AP mode.
Aironet is a PC card on ISA adapter, Prism is a PCI card. 32MB RAM and
Pentium 133Mhz CPU.
There was floppy based FreeBSD 4.8. Switched to m0n0 but without any
success. Packet dropping starts when there is more than 1 Mbit traffic on
Aironet and 1.5Mbit on Prism. During the experiments we found out that
packett loss is not only present in loaded interface but also on free one.
This box is not only client  connected to different AP through aironet.
There are 4 routers attached to uplink AP. Others are working nice. So nice
that if they manage to generate about 3Mbit traffic this m0n0 box have ping
times about 2000ms and 75% packet loss. Even on Prism interface rises ping
and packetloss occures. Web interface becomes slugish.
We believe that some memory address conflict persists in this box. Going to
change mainboard in a few days.

To be continued... :-D

Instigater