[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Hilton Travis <Hilton at QuarkAV dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] FW: Accessing FTP server behind firewall in Bridge mode
 Date:  Wed, 10 Mar 2004 08:04:59 +1000
Hi,

On Wed, 2004-03-10 at 03:15, Nicolas Rainville wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> We have a M0N0wall as a firewall with a Windows FTP server on the DMZ.
> The firewall is in Bridge mode, all traffic is allowed from the DMZ to
> the WAN. The WAN interface has rules set up for the different ports -
> all works well.
>
> Where I have a problem is with FTP. If I open port 21 incoming and
> 1024-50000 outgoing I can get FTP to work in Passive mode as long as the
> client connecting to it (from the WAN interface) is not behind a NAT
> router. Also, this setup forces me to open a lot of ports, disabling a
> very large part of the security provided by the firewall.

Not really the case.  You have opened a single inbound port, and no
more.  You haven't really had to "open a lot of ports, disabling a
very large part of the security provided by the firewall" as the
outbound ports are open by default anyway.

> I could not get Active mode to work (tried opening port 20) at all. A
> proxy would probably work here, but as far as I know it is not
> supported.

ftp when running from one protected network into another, is rather
difficult to get working.  ftp wasn't designed with firewalls and/or NAT
in mind, and is a protocol that is now showing its poor design and
implementation.  Unfortunately, there's often no easy way to get this
all "just working" in all situations.

> NAT is not set up on the M0n0wall machine (we have a router doing that
> work) and we are currently running version pb20r555
> built on Mon Nov 24 19:23:59 CET 2003

For starters, I'd recommending upgrading this dinosaur to the current
1.0 release - the m0n0wall you are running is so old, it existed before
many of us were born!  (Metaphorically, of course.)

--

Regards,

				http://www.mamboband.org/