[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Hilton Travis <Hilton at QuarkAV dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] DWL-520 V.E1 not supported
 Date:  Thu, 11 Mar 2004 08:32:35 +1000
Hi Anthony,

On Wed, 2004-03-10 at 12:56, Anthony Rios wrote:
> Hey all,
> 	This might be old hat to most of you but I thought I would
> post it anyway.  I just bought a DWL-520 PCI card and wi fails
> to load it.
> Here's a copy of the log:

<snippage>

> As far as I can tell its the wi driver.  Unfortunately, it looks like
> its time to move on from m0n0wall.  I have tried a DWL-520, a DWL 650,
> and a Compaq WL100.  All failed.
> The two DWL cards fail pretty much the same...
>
> This is a great software package.  I just wish it would support more
> hardware.

m0n0wall supports 802.11b WICs based on the Prism2 chipset.  This has
been mentioned in this list on numerous occasions.  The best way to
purchase a WIC, then, would be to confirm the chipset *before*
purchasing the WIC, not trying it after you buy one.

That aside, I agree that there needs to be more hardware support in
m0n0wall on the Wireless side.  There are no 802.11g chipsets supported,
and 802.11b is fading fast in the world of 2004.  11Mbps is just too
slow for business use, and even for a lot of home use.

I have a net4521 here waiting for 802.11g WIC support - I'm not going to
be running out any buying any 802.11b PC Cards nor cPCI cards for this
box.  Especially considering all of my clients are looking at 802.11g
implementations.

--

Regards,

				http://www.mamboband.org/